Welcome!

Sam, Katie, and Sara-lab partners extraordinaire- had talked for a while about making a chemistry-themed blog with their awesome chemistry-related experiences. One day they were reminiscing about playing google docs tag (chasing each other with their cursors in the spreadsheet) and after that nerdy memory they decided it was about time to go for it.

Welcome to the epic adventure!
Share your chemistry knowledge. Share your life. :)

Monday, March 22, 2010

Indecision

So, as you may have gathered from Katie's post, there are a lot of us down here in foggy SF for the ACS national conference. We have been attending meetings, listening to lectures, and tramping through chinatown (always a favorite in my book).

One of the major things that I have been doing here at the conference is trying to decide what I want to do with my life. More specifically, I have been trying to decide a) what I should study in graduate school, b) if I want to go into into industry or academia (or a government lab, which I recently discovered is about halfway in between) and c) what field of chemistry I want to go into after I graduate (which I also recently discovered can be a completely different question than a). To this end, I have been focusing on networking activities and career/grad school fairs, and trying to talk to professors and professionals in different disciplines; hopefully, I will be able get a feel for what professional chemists do with their lives. Unfortunately, all that this has done for me is make me more indecisive. While there are a couple of things that I know that I don't want to do, I have absolutely NO idea what I actually want to do. So, here are my random musings on this subject.

I know for sure that I don't want to go into analytical or physical chemistry. This is partially because I dislike math, and partially because I love reaction chemistry. That's all I really have to say about that.

My biggest fear is unintentionally closing doors. This is my worst-case-scenario: I go to graduate school in a subject that I think I like. After graduating, and working (in academia or industry) for a couple of years, I realize that I don't really like it, and I would like to do something else. Unfortunately, my current training/education has not prepared me for a career in that something else, and I either cannot enter that something else, or have to go back to school for another 6 years in order to do that.

Right now I'm leaning towards industry instead of academia, mainly because the one thing that I do know about what I want is that I want to make something cool. I don't know what it is or how to do it, but I know that I want to make it.

I'm currently working in an organic synthesis laboratory. I don't want to base any decisions from my current work to date, simply because I haven't been working in Dr. Castle's lab very long, and because, for a variety of reasons (schoolwork, appendicitis, etc.), I haven't be able to dedicate as much time to the lab as I have likes; that being said, I don't think I want to go into natural products synthesis. There are several reasons for this. First of all, I easily get frustrated working at the bleeding edge of a reaction, where things don't work more often than they do (I may be naive in hoping that this will be different in a different field). Second, most natural products are synthesized for their possible biological properties (mostly anti-cancer); quite frankly, I have no interest in biology and biochemistry, and so I have a hard making a connection with the products I've synthesized.

Organic methodology looks interesting. However, I say this with the admission that I really have absolutely no idea what is involved in methodology studies, or how it would be different than total synthesis.

Polymer chemistry looks really interesting. I talked to a polymer chemist from . . . I can't remember what grad school (don't worry, I kept all the SWAG, so I can find it after I empty out my backpack). What interest me about polymer chemistry is that you get to deal with both bulk properties and molecular-level theory.

Biofuels/alternate fuels also looks interesting. I'm doing a paper on bioethanol for my pchem class right now, and the things that I've learned about it are really cool. I just hope that there's more to bioethanol than thermodynamics, because, as I mentioned above, that would be a deal-breaker.

So there's my wheneverly brain-dump. Oh, I forgot to mention my dream job:

Hollywood science consultant- working with Hollywood movie producers to make sure that their movies won't make scientists cringe when they watch them (think Spiderman 2's idea of 'tritium').

No comments:

Post a Comment